Ultra Premium Coarse Timothy Hay
What is Ultra Premium Coarse Timothy Hay?
Our Coarse Timothy Hay contains mostly stems, long seed heads, and leaves. This grade of hay comes from the first harvest of Timothy Hay or an exceptionally coarse second harvest. The key to this grade of premium hay is that it’s made up entirely of coarse stems and leaves.
The Ultra Premium Coarse Timothy Hay we have in stock checks off all the boxes for quality Coarse Timothy Hay and has a very small amount of brown leaf.
Coarse Timothy Hay provides a strong balance of roughage and nutrition for rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas. It’s long seed heads, short broad leaves, and long thick stems make it coarser providing long strands that promote natural chewing behavior.
If you’re not sure yet which type of hay you want, please check out our coverage of everything Rabbit Hole Hay here.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed on all Rabbit Hole Hay
- Fresh Hay - Rabbit Hole Hay hand-packs every box so you get fresh, green & fragrant hay with little to no dust.
- High Fiber & Low Protein - Promotes healthy weight & digestion
- Coarse Roughage - Perfect amount of “roughage” to promote dental health.
- Perfect for Small Pets - Keep your rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas happy & healthy.
- Rabbit Hole Hay visits their farms as part of their quality control, ensuring that the hay they provide for your beloved pets is the highest quality available.
- Each harvest of hay is tested to make sure it falls within Rabbit Hole Hay's guaranteed nutrient levels listed on our packaging. We take the health of your pet very seriously.
- We store our hay indoors to keep it fresh and protect it from sunlight and water. Sunlight not only changes the color but it also robs the hay of nutrients. Water can cause the hay to develop fungus, mold and bacteria, which can be very dangerous to not only your pet but you as well.
Is Coarse Timothy like First Cut Timothy?
Timothy Hay begins to grow during the spring after it’s had a winter nap. By late spring or early summer the hay is ready to be harvested for the first time of the growing season. It’s usually by mid June that the farmer cuts the first growth of the year. During this early growth the plant grows long thick stems, short broad leaves, and long seed head (flowers). When this is harvested it is commonly referred to as First Cut Timothy Hay.
Occasionally, when the summer is cooler and the plant is not overly stressed by the heat during the second growth it will grow hay that is very similar to the first harvest. We have renamed our product to Coarse Timothy Hay to allow us to provide you a product based on the qualities that you are looking for in your hay rather than the time of year that it is harvested.
Most of the time you’ll receive a First Cut Timothy Hay when you buy our Coarse Timothy Hay, however, on occasion you may receive a very coarse Second Cut Timothy Hay. You can rest assured that you will be receiving consistent hay, with the qualities you and your small pet are looking for.
Why Hay is Essential to a Rabbit's Diet
Grass hay is an important staple in the diet of rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas. For rabbits 7 months and older and guinea pigs 6 months and older, grass hay should make up 80% of their diet. For chinchillas older than a year, grass hay should make up 75% of their diet. The constant foraging and grazing encouraged by hay helps to keep them physically active and mentally stimulated. It also helps to wear down their teeth while the long strand fiber helps to keep their digestion regular and functioning properly.
Stop Wasting Time & Money on Bad Hay
Tired of wasting time picking through bad hay just to find the bits your rabbit, guinea pig, or chinchilla will actually eat? We visually inspect and hand-pack every package of hay to ensure that you get fresh, green, fragrant hay of the highest quality. Your hay is always hand-processed, never machine-cut, creating nice long strands and less small pieces. You’ll no longer have to worry about your small pet suffering from irritated eyes or sneezing from excessive dust. We preserve freshness by bagging all of our hay inside the box. This helps keep it from drying out or absorbing unwanted odors.
Rabbit Hole Hay is grown in Northern California, in the heart of hay country. All hay is sourced from local growers in the surrounding regions of the Northwest United States. Rabbit Hole Hay supports a community of small pet owners who care deeply about providing happy and healthy lifestyles for their pets.