Ultra Premium Medium Timothy Hay
Free Shipping over $89 ($49 in upper midwest)
***CURRENTLY SHIPS TO USA & CANADA ONLY***
What is Ultra Premium Medium Timothy Hay?
Our Medium Timothy Hay contains mostly thin stems, short seed heads, and broad flat leaves. This grade of hay comes from the second harvest of Timothy Hay or a beautiful first harvest that was on the softer-side.
The Ultra Premium Medium Timothy Hay we have in stock checks off all the boxes for quality Medium Timothy Hay and has a small amount of brown leaf.
Medium Timothy Hay is a softer hay that has thinner stems and larger leaves, making it easier for small pets to eat. It’s particularly good for aging rabbits as it is on the softer side, but still meets the nutrition requirements to maintain their dental and digestive health.
If you’re not sure yet which type of hay you want, please check out our coverage of everything Rabbit Hole Hay here.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed on all Rabbit Hole Hay
- Fresh Hay - Rabbit Hole Hay hand-packs every box so you get fresh, green & fragrant hay with little to no dust.
- High Fiber & Low Protein - Promotes healthy weight & digestion
- Coarse Roughage - Perfect amount of “roughage” to promote dental health.
- Perfect for Small Pets - Keep your rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas happy & healthy.
- Rabbit Hole Hay visits their farms as part of their quality control, ensuring that the hay they provide for your beloved pets is the highest quality available.
- Each harvest of hay is tested to make sure it falls within Rabbit Hole Hay's guaranteed nutrient levels listed on our packaging. We take the health of your pet very seriously.
- We store our hay indoors to keep it fresh and protect it from sunlight and water. Sunlight not only changes the color but it also robs the hay of nutrients. Water can cause the hay to develop fungus, mold and bacteria, which can be very dangerous to not only your pet but you as well.
Is Medium Timothy like Second Cut Timothy?
Timothy Hay begins growing after it's winter nap in the spring. By late spring or early summer that the hay is ready to be harvested for the first time that growing season. It’s usually by mid June that the farmer cuts the first growth of the year, commonly known as First Cut Timothy. The hay is then left to regrow and is harvested a second time usually by late summer, commonly referred to as Second Cut Timothy Hay.
When it comes to First Cut, it is often times during the hay’s early growth that the plant grows long thick stems, short broad leaves, and long seed head (flowers). However, if we were to have an especially hot spring or the farmer were to "short-cut" the harvest (meaning harvest the hay early), the first cut hay may have qualities more akin to a Second Cut Timothy Hay.
Second Cut Timothy Hay generally has broader leaves, smaller and thinner stems, and shorter seed heads. Most of the time you will receive Second Cut Timothy Hay when you buy our Medium Timothy Hay, however, on occasion you may receive a very soft First Cut Timothy Hay. You can rest assured that you will be getting consistent hay, with the qualities that you are looking for.
Why Hay is Essential to a Rabbit's Diet
Grass hay is an important staple in the diet of rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas. For rabbits 7 months and older and guinea pigs 6 months and older, grass hay should make up 80% of their diet. For chinchillas older than a year, grass hay should make up 75% of their diet. The constant foraging and grazing encouraged by hay helps to keep them physically active and mentally stimulated. It also helps to wear down their teeth while the long strand fiber helps to keep their digestion regular and functioning properly.
Stop Wasting Time & Money on Bad Hay
Tired of wasting time picking through bad hay just to find the bits your rabbit, guinea pig, or chinchilla will actually eat? We visually inspect and hand-pack every package of hay to ensure that you get fresh, green, fragrant hay of the highest quality. Your hay is always hand-processed, never machine-cut, creating nice long strands and less small pieces. You’ll no longer have to worry about your small pet suffering from irritated eyes or sneezing from excessive dust. We preserve freshness by bagging all of our hay inside the box. This helps keep it from drying out or absorbing unwanted odors.
Rabbit Hole Hay is grown in Northern California, in the heart of hay country. All hay is sourced from local growers in the surrounding regions of the Northwest United States. Rabbit Hole Hay supports a community of small pet owners who care deeply about providing happy and healthy lifestyles for their pets.